What have we become?

morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
Speaking generally, and I'm not entirely immune from this myself, people seem very edgy just now.

After the rollercoaster end to the season we all seem to have got very nit picky about a lot of things, or are we just bored while we don't have football to moan about?

Price of DVD's, tracksuit tops, Wembley wall bricks, the kit, the away kit (not so much) the refreshers third kit. Lack of signings, Ricky, the list goes on.

Have we developed a massive sense of self entitlement, or an arrogance because we have been promoted?

Do we want "little old community club (buh) or do we want a professionally run club that maximises revenue streams?

Strange times.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Personally don't care about any of that stuff. Kits aren't as bad as people are making out and things at Premier League clubs are expensive, you don't have to buy it.

I think moaning about everything has stemmed from the lack of signings. Some people probably are worried but I would think a majority are just pissing around. 

It'll be fine once the football starts again, I'm sure. Our online communities turned toxic during the Hughton years and haven't really recovered yet. 
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
Not half as bad as it did during Worthy's later months.

I actually didn't post on forums for a few years after I got so hacked off with the whole "Worthy out" milarkey.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
The ''you're not worthy anymore'' stuff really did seem to rumble on forever. I was only getting the [much more reasonable] offline view so I can only imagine the state of the Pinkun boards at that point in time. That Burnley game was the first time I'd ever witnessed thousands of people simultaneously losing patience, as far as manager sackings go my first was a 'good' one. Shame it happened to one of our more likable managers really.  

In recent times whenever I've been a bit fed up with the club [After every Hughton press conference, Adams full time appointment] I've just opened up a picture of Neil Doncaster's smug *bleep* face. This might not work for everyone but for me the supernova of anger that erupts within instantly burns away any current negative energy. Then I just have to work out that anger with physical exertion or cute japanese pop music. Of course I'll ditch this mechanism if things actually get bad, if I'm forced to look at that man too often I'd probably get stomach ulcers. 
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
The ''you're not worthy anymore'' stuff really did seem to rumble on forever. I was only getting the [much more reasonable] offline view so I can only imagine the state of the Pinkun boards at that point in time. That Burnley game was the first time I'd ever witnessed thousands of people simultaneously losing patience, as far as manager sackings go my first was a 'good' one. Shame it happened to one of our more likable managers really.  

In recent times whenever I've been a bit fed up with the club [After every Hughton press conference, Adams full time appointment] I've just opened up a picture of Neil Doncaster's smug *bleep* face. This might not work for everyone but for me the supernova of anger that erupts within instantly burns away any current negative energy. Then I just have to work out that anger with physical exertion or cute japanese pop music. Of course I'll ditch this mechanism if things actually get bad, if I'm forced to look at that man too often I'd probably get stomach ulcers. 
I think your post there sums up very nicely how a lot of people are feeling just now. That day at Wembley seems long forgotten!
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I can only imagine the state of the Pinkun boards at that point in time. 

If you were really interested, last time I went on the Pinkun its threads were archived all the way back to 2003, so you could actually search for those threads and read them. If you were so inclined!
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
In answer to your original post Morty I think we're just bored. No football and no signings makes Jack a dull boy means we've got little else to talk about
 
the jarrold

the jarrold

Member
Agreed, minor details become much larger and more important when there's not much else to talk about. They'll still be there when the action starts but perhaps inviting fewer comments than currently.
 
Beauseant

Beauseant

Well-Known Member
I think it's partly a feature of the social media generation. Its so easy to make a comment without really thinking it through or tempering your view by talking to others and the fact that you will probably never find yourself face to face with someone you're insulting loosens inhibitions.

I agree, though, that there is also a sense of entitlement and the fuss over the kit has got ridiculous; if you don't like it, don't buy it. I can't believe the number of photoshopped improvements that I've seen online. Do people really think the club will withdraw it and start again?

Finally, there is a huge misunderstanding of how the playing budget works. There really are people out there who can't understand why we aren't spending £120 million on transfers! I suspect that our wage bill will probably be in the region of £50million, then you have agent fees, travel and accommodation etc on top. I would guess that our actual transfer budget is between £25m and £30m tops.
 
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
I actually just came over from that other site with the intention of starting a post similar to this one, spent 20 minutes trawling through a board full of negativity and criticism of the club.......and to be honest it made my mind up to visit that place even less, really depressing considering we are just off one of the best days in the club's history. Now, I just pray that this board stays more balanced an enjoyable to be part of, as its like punishment going to that dark pink place :=(
 
Keckers

Keckers

New Member
I think Beau is right in citing the social media generation. Outrage is easy from a keyboard and to be noticed people go for extreme reactions. 140 characters to convey this and be noticed is probably the biggest factor, but I am slightly miffed by the sense of entitlement. We are a good club but we finished in flattering positions in the premier league for two seasons (certainly the second season under Hughton) and were pretty woeful in our last. We didn't storm the championship by any measure, and we have always struggled to attract big name players for a variety of reasons.

I think the generation of instant gratification and the lack of understanding of how football finances work are big reasons for the outpourings of "worry".

I tend to roll my eyes and pass on those posts as there are still some sensible and readable opinions out there.
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
despite its claims to the contrary the mass social media portals (twitter / facebook) is not representative of any general public opinion, whether football related or not - most starkly witnessed in the election when the outrage on twitter that labour did not get in was completely at odds with the actual result and the shirt rage compared to record launch sales of the first team shirt   

Social media is a great live forum in danger of being overrun by village idiots,  however the term silent majority has never held a stronger sway over the artificially amplified angst of a proportionately small group of megalomanic keyboard warriors.  
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Keckers

Keckers

New Member
Completely agree about the silent majority. Twitter especially is for those that shout the loudest, not those that express the majority opinion. The election is a great example ZLF. The outrage and attempts to organise protests might have seemed, at first glance, to have been representative of a common feeling but the result speaks for itself. Same with us. All of the criticism means nothing. Let's see what happens when the season starts. I'm looking forward to it.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
I think it's a mixture of boredom and frustration at the fact that we're making no clear progress in the transfer window. I just can't bloody wait for the season to start, the trip to Wembley feels like ages ago, when it's actually only been less than 2 months.
 
I

It's Character Forming

New Member
I actually just came over from that other site with the intention of starting a post similar to this one, spent 20 minutes trawling through a board full of negativity and criticism of the club.......and to be honest it made my mind up to visit that place even less, really depressing considering we are just off one of the best days in the club's history. Now, I just pray that this board stays more balanced an enjoyable to be part of, as its like punishment going to that dark pink place :=(
Sums up my feelings perfectly.

I'm heading back from holiday and I thi it's time to look at the DVDs from last season
 
Scott

Scott

Active Member
I got told when loads of old boys were queuing up for Wembley tickets, some woman came out and asked them if any of them wanted a cup of tea or coffee or something, after all the old timers were licking their lips she revealed she was charging £3 for the privilege! Does sum the football business up as a whole really, as for NCFC, I think boredom is the main thing people are finding Inge to moan about, no new signings, although the next few weeks will be interesting with various pre season friendlies going on
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
I think it's partly a feature of the social media generation. Its so easy to make a comment without really thinking it through or tempering your view by talking to others and the fact that you will probably never find yourself face to face with someone you're insulting loosens inhibitions.

I agree, though, that there is also a sense of entitlement and the fuss over the kit has got ridiculous; if you don't like it, don't buy it. I can't believe the number of photoshopped improvements that I've seen online. Do people really think the club will withdraw it and start again?

Finally, there is a huge misunderstanding of how the playing budget works. There really are people out there who can't understand why we aren't spending £120 million on transfers! I suspect that our wage bill will probably be in the region of £50million, then you have agent fees, travel and accommodation etc on top. I would guess that our actual transfer budget is between £25m and £30m tops.
While I post on this site occasionally, I am not a member of any other social media site so can't debate its role or responsibility. What I do know is that apart from the method of delivery, nothing has or will change when it comes to peoples opinions particularly with regard to the OP.

In my days of the early sixties, standing on the River End terrace, I listened to, sometimes agreeing with, all manner of opinion, abuse and rhetoric. And no doubt the same thing happened when the same gentlemen got to the pub or arrived home for tea, Many landlords and wives would have heard it home game after home game. AND my grandfather used to berate me about who was good and who wasn't worth his wages-and he never went to a match in my memory, even though one of his family was one of the founders of the club.

Why weren't we in the 1st Division after all the money the club has got (forgetting we nearly went out of business in 1957) and why are we selling our best players were just a couple of perennial questions. And when the club introduced green shorts there was many a supporter thought the club had gone too far!

But just as then, today, and because of the close season, opinion about the club, whether literally correct or not, is the opium of the supporter. For instance, I disagree with you about the new kit. It isn't a question of buying it, it is one of the things we are famous for and identifies us too many around the world.

And while most realise the budget and recent financial problems mean the club will not be taking too many risks, there are many out there who see the risk as worth it particularly as many see us as a big club. And I think it rankles with them seeing the team we defeated at Wembley offering silly money for Championship players. And what easier way to express that disappointment, and on a grand scale, than social media. And the more vitriolic, the more attention it gets.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I think we learned during the Hughton out/Hughton in debate/campaign (and perhaps more recently with the latest kit launches) that the drama on message boards and social media doesnt at all represent how most fans feel
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I really liked those tracksuit tops, shame the person who designed those couldn't have been put in charge of the kit designs for this season. Unless he/she was, but we didn't settle the first invoice quickly enough and this was his revenge. 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
The answer to the OP is, I think, that people are getting bored with no football to watch and analyse and no signings to get over-excited about. 
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top