Right then, who should we sign?

Din

Din

Well-Known Member
I'd definitely take £3.8m for Ricky, I can't see us getting much more than that. Don't know how much truth there is in the rumour that he's going back to Lisbon, but it's certainly a move that'd make sense for him. I'm sure there's a very good striker in there somewhere, but a mixture of Hughton's atrocious style and a general lack of confidence and effort from RvW ultimately didn't show us that good player, and Alex Neil doesn't really have time to try and find it either.
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
For £4.5m Id try and find the time...
I suspect AN feels that he'd have to set up a system to suit RvW to make it work and he doesn't want to do that. He wants players who will suit his system. We got a £1m+ loan fee for him last season, so a £3m loss isn't the end of the world considering the PL money we'll have coming in this season.
 
dj161

dj161

Well-Known Member
I suspect AN feels that he'd have to set up a system to suit RvW to make it work and he doesn't want to do that. He wants players who will suit his system.
I'm pretty sure that the system we used last season would of suited RVW perfectly, he thrives on wingers putting crosses into the box and thats something he never got in the premiership, with Redmond right footed on the left, and Snodgrass left footed on the right the crosses for him to attack was just never going to happen, but with Redmond right sided and Johnno on the left I'm 99% sure he'd score plenty of goals as long as he still has some confidence left, though I won't be holding my breath that'll we'll see the wolf in canary yellow again
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I'm pretty sure that the system we used last season would of suited RVW perfectly, he thrives on wingers putting crosses into the box and thats something he never got in the premiership, with Redmond right footed on the left, and Snodgrass left footed on the right the crosses for him to attack was just never going to happen, but with Redmond right sided and Johnno on the left I'm 99% sure he'd score plenty of goals as long as he still has some confidence left, though I won't be holding my breath that'll we'll see the wolf in canary yellow again
The decision to loan him out speaks volumes I think. The noises coming from RvW pre-season were all about him wanting to make amends, prove himself and fire us back. He comes across as a genuine guy so I dont think these were empty platitudes. Consequently, despite the arrogant noises that came from his agent, I think the decision to loan him out was the clubs not his. I think he would have stayed without too much fuss if noone came in for him.

I dont think Ricky is going to be given the chance, else we'd have kept him for the championship I think. Think the club have made up their minds
 
Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Well-Known Member
Makes you wonder what the other players think. He didn't want to play in the championship whereas the others decided to stay. Must be odd to have him back, particularly if you're one of the strikers who could potentially lose their place to him.
 
Scott

Scott

Active Member
Part of me wants to see the lad work hard in training and prove us all wrong, but also part of me wants to get as much as we can for him and see him succeed elsewhere possibly. Maybe all the hype was too much for the lad.
 
Suffolk Canary

Suffolk Canary

New Member
Maybe all the hype was too much for the lad.

I think that was partly the clubs fault. Using him for kit promos before he'd even got his training boots on is a pretty poor decision imo. And the way Hughton talked him up, he made it sound like the whole team was going to be built around him.  And as said dj161 said, having wingers playing on the side of their wrong foot always reduces the amount of good crosses into the box. 

I hate to admit it but its pretty clear him coming back for pre season is nothing more than a formality. I'll be amazed if he plays in any friendlies. Clearly not many people on either side want him at the club.   Such a shame seeing your man-crush fail  :(
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
It would be a good story/fairytale but yeah, not happening. If the stated fee is anywhere near what we're really getting then the club have done a great job of cutting their losses.  
 
Suffolk Canary

Suffolk Canary

New Member
http://thecarrowcrowd.com/2015/07/10/norwich-close-in-on-la-liga-striker/

The spanish sound pretty convinced this guy is a done deal..
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Looks like this will go through then in the next couple of days. I've never actually heard of him but just had a quick look and he's got into double figures in La Liga in the last 2 seasons, and found a website with a bunch of Barcelona fans praising him for his performance against them, where Celta Vigo beat them 1-0 at the Nou Camp last season, with him scoring the goal. For £1.5m this could be an absolute steal.
 
TA Canary

TA Canary

New Member
Well this is interesting...

Reports this lunchtime #ncfc have opted against completing a deal for #celta Larrivey. Quotes from agent saying #ncfc have pulled out

— Paddy Davitt (@paddyjdavitt)

July 12, 2015

Could be something boring like a failed medical or disagreement over personal terms. Could be something more exciting like a different signing becoming an option.
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
Doesn't seem to be 'something boring' from this:

Fichajes.com report Neil met the player and his advisor on Friday as he prepared to undergo his medical after City had reached an agreement with Celta. Reports prior to the weekend sugested Larrivey would sign a two-year deal, with the option of a further year, for a transfer in the region of £1.5m. Dos Reis is reportedly quoted as saying, “There has not been any problem that may have lead to this. Nor has there been any change in the numbers of the operation. This is a total lack of seriousness, professionalism and ethics by Norwich.”

Let's hope for the 'something more exciting like a different signing becoming an option' then. Mbokani maybe?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Hope not.Of all the strikers we've been linked with Mbokani is the one I've been least enthused about. Gestede please.
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
I see the grauniad have Watford are looking to sign steven Berghuis from AZ Alkmar - £3.5m for a 23yo attacking quick wide player who can play on the left;  for me that would be a good buy
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Not to do with who we're signing, but Wolves are apparently interested in Gary O'Neil.
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
O'Neil is a quality player and would have got into any other champs side on a regular basis last season,  was unlucky to not get more games;  great cover for us but age is against him now and would not be surprised to see him move on.
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
Quite a few interesting options to consider at the minute, some obvious, some less so.

LB - Baba Abdul Rahman from Augsburg, or Arthur Masuaka from Olympiacos

RB - DeAndre Yedlin from Spurs, or E.Bennett to be converted to RB

CB - One of Niklas Sule, Terence Kongolo or Jonathan Tah would be nice, shame we missed out on Kaboul for 3m

LW/RW - Love to see us try to get Januzaj on loan (or even perm), Luciano Narsingh from PSV would also be great as he has blistering pace.

AM - Adam Maher from PSV or Max Meyer from Schalke (probably out of our current price range)

CF - Richairo Zivkovic from Ajax or Doria from Marseille

I appreciate that some of these may be wildly optimistic (Meyer and Zivkovic the obvious 2), but all offer either quality above what we already have or incredible potential to soon eclipse the players they'd be covering atm.
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top