New signing.

morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
McGovern signs, worst kept secret ever!

Will be interesting how this affects our overall goalkeeping pecking order.

Ruddy or Rudd on the move?
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Would think that Rudd would move on. Think it's a big risk to go into the season with Rudd/McGovern first choice. Whilst I think we can do better than Ruddy, he is our best 'keeper and easily good enough at this level.

Only just found out that Daniel Bentley has gone to Brentford. Disappointed about that, would have liked us to go in for him. 
 
dj161

dj161

Well-Known Member
Well there were rumours a couple of weeks ago that Alex Neil was prepared to listen to offers for John Ruddy, to be honest I think it's more likely that Declan Rudd would be likely to move on if it was all three of them there, although at the same time I can't imagine Ruddy being to happy about potentially being a second choice keeper in the championship, it'll be interesting indeed to see how this plays out, I imagine the 2 home friendlies next week could be a big indicator to our starting lineup against Blackburn
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
I would have thought that Rudd, at the stage he is at in his career, would be looking for a number one shirt.

And I doubt that McGovern would turn down Southampton to come here and sit on our bench, likely for less money.

Interesting.....
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
I think McGovern would feel he has more of a chance against Ruddy than Forester.

Doubt he'll get ahead of Ruddy though tbh.

Rudd isn't good enough so I think he's more likely to leave than Ruddy.
 
N

Number 9

Well-Known Member
I'm underwhelmed so far with our transfer business.

Seems like a few old guard being kept on with some kids who have potential drafted into the team.

I'm not sure that's going to be enough to get promoted this season.

Moan moan
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
To be honest a lot of our business will depend on if/when players leave. If everyone in our current squad was to stay (except those we should be actively looking to sell, Ricky, Lafferty, Turner) then I think we really only need two strikers, a centre back, and a centre mid who can warm the bench. The other thing I will say as well is that if we keep Klose we will go up, I don't doubt that.

Also, I don't think there's any real chance McGovern will be first choice. I imagine he'll just act as more of an incentive to Ruddy, as in the back of his mind I imagine Ruddy knows that Rudd isn't good enough to replace him.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
I don't think Ruddy can seriously believe he is automatically number one and have several bouts of mistakes and poor form and not be replaced. McGovern, after his exposure at the Euros, will certainly be expecting to take over if there is any loss of form.

I feel sorry for Rudd as he came into the team last season and was left exposed on so many occasions. He might be the best choice in a team going forward and winning games.
 
G

GJP

Well-Known Member
He was left exposed but he didn't make himself hard to beat. By Prem standards (probably Champs too)  he just made it too easy to score past him. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I'm underwhelmed so far with our transfer business.

Seems like a few old guard being kept on with some kids who have potential drafted into the team.

I'm not sure that's going to be enough to get promoted this season.

Moan moan
I feel exactly the same right now.

But I'll become a lot more optimistic if we open the cheque book and drop some good money on a proven goalscorer.

Ross McCormack would make us contenders, would love it if those rumours are true. 

Skimp on the striker signing and we've not going enough, we need to buy a serious goalscorer. 

Transfer business always seems to start late when there is an international tournament though, the players who wait until the tournament is over before deciding their futures seem to hold up the chain. 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
2 additional strikers are a must - if jerome is injured we simply dont have a credible alternative.   I expect one of them will be a season long loan and the other to be a be a decent size signing.

I dont think that McCormark really fits what we know about what AN wants,  a tidy footballer who usually plays alongside or off another,  preferring to come in from a flank and a good 20 goal average.   However AN also want pace, ability to be a lone lead striker and defensive contribution as well as lowering the average age.   They are not McCormacks strengths and his defensive work is poor - and they are the reasons why he has not played for a team beyond mid table championship level.   Jerome at £1.5m is an absolute bargain in comparison.

If we change tactics (and AN said he will manage to HIS strengths this season) or use him as part of the 4 or three behind a single striker (where we already have Wes, Naismith, Maddison and murphu) that means we will still have the need for 2 further strikers and most of the budget gone.   

I would welcome his signing,  I just have concerns about how he fits in and a seriouosly over  inflated price tag for a player who is only going to get worse and deteriorate in value when a player like assombalonga or khadija (probably not Bamford after last season) are better fits all round.

Not many teams have made their moves - time yet and I suspect the no action for 24/48 hrs means we will start to see some action next week. 
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top