Looks like we've signed Brady!

The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I don't think personal terms were ever likely to be a problem. Wouldn't be surprised if negotiations had been done during the week and he just had to come down and sign. 

Would be typical if they now find something wrong during the medical. 

Alex Neil meets him. Pulls face - not for me. Norwich pull out. That vein on Bruce's forehead finally bursts...
 
M

Moosheep

New Member
If we had gone in with a bid of £7m for him in the first place do you think we would have got him 6 weeks ago (or whenever we put in our first bid)? Is it the default position of clubs to reject the first bid knowing a better offer will no doubt follow? Cat and mouse. I'm not sure however, in this case, which club is the cat and which is the mouse!
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
If we had gone in with a bid of £7m for him in the first place do you think we would have got him 6 weeks ago (or whenever we put in our first bid)? Is it the default position of clubs to reject the first bid knowing a better offer will no doubt follow? Cat and mouse. I'm not sure however, in this case, which club is the cat and which is the mouse!
If we had gone in with a bid of 7, they would have held out for 9.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Depends on the circumstances.

But say Olsson was fit, do you say to him "Martin, sorry mate, you're not playing the first few games because Harry has done alright on tour?"

What if Loza had scored half a dozen goals in pre season and Jerome didn't get any?

I'm not against young players being given the chance but I don't think they get it just for being there, for having gone through the ranks. I trust what the manager sees in training tells him enough about whether someone is worth a shot or not.
Using your examples, then Toffolo and Loza would certainly be on the bench minimum and I believe AN would do that and then posters wouldn't have the need to keep saying "We need a blah blah blah and we have no cover for blah blah blah".
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Sadly it tends to be the default position for some people. The usual response is that players on big fees are a waste of money and those on low ones (or even, god help us, frees) are automatically crap, Mulumbu being a case in point. Very few of us (myself included!) see enough football to really be able to judge the quality of players and our opinion should always bow to the club's scouting network. Of course, players can bomb, as a certain Dutchman has proved but generally, if they're good enough for Alex they're good enough for me.
Exactly. Two of my grandsons base everything on FIFA15 and keep telling me who is brilliant and who isn't just because of a game! 
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Exactly. Two of my grandsons base everything on FIFA15 and keep telling me who is brilliant and who isn't just because of a game! 

And that (thankfully) is why we didnt sign Tonton Zola Moukoko 15 years ago...

http://usvsth3m.com/post/54920294470/11-legendary-championship-manager-players-whose
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Don't think there's much chance at all of this deal completed before the West Ham game tomorrow. It seems like ages ago but remember how long the Mulumbu signing seemed to drag out for, there was about 10 days between it being confirmed we were in talks with him to him actually signing, I imagine it'll be a few more days yet until Brady officially joins.

What I've seen of him I like, and the fact is we need a left sided player, and he fits the bill perfectly. I can see why people are saying that they think the price is a bit steep, however if he ends up being crucial to us and helps to keep us up then he'll be well worth it. He's a good player and in today's market they don't come cheap. I personally am happy with this deal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I don't think personal terms were ever likely to be a problem.


All Hull players had a 50% pay cut upon relegation, so is only natural that they'd all jump at the chance of an instant return to the Premier League,

I'd be interested to know what our % was/is, because we have those written into contracts too I think?

Of course this does mean that RVW has been given a pay rise this summer after not contributing at all to our promotion.
 
C

CanaryNath

New Member
Yup, I'm happy with this signing. £7m is a fair chunk of cash, but he's only 23. 
 
M

Moosheep

New Member
Most protracted transfer ever?

I'd be interested to know what our % was/is, because we have those written into contracts too I think? 
I have a friend at the club who told me all players had a 50% relegation pay cut clause  in their contracts. I guess that works both ways and they have all had a 100% pay increase upon promotion.
 
C

CanaryNath

New Member
a 100% pay rise is crazy on the face of it, but not so mad when you consider the increase in income the club will receive BECAUSE those players got us promoted.
 
M

Moosheep

New Member
a 100% pay rise is crazy on the face of it, but not so mad when you consider the increase in income the club will receive BECAUSE those players got us promoted.
A 100% increase would only take the players back to the wages they were on pre-relegation of course. Although I wouldn't be surprised if there had been some contract renegotiations post relegation last year, in order to retain players, in which case it may well be the case that some players are now on more than they were prior to relegation. All speculation of course.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
a 100% pay rise is crazy on the face of it, but not so mad when you consider the increase in income the club will receive BECAUSE those players got us promoted.
As moosheep said, a 100% pay rise just gives them their 50% pay cut back.

You'd expect that players would have been on some sort of lump sum promotion bonus though, so that would give them some of that 50% back. 

Also if they have goal bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, appearance fees and win bonuses in their contract, then even at 50% of the previous rate a lot of players would have earned more from those bonuses.

You'd at least expect McNally to have arranged a decent win bonus for the play-off final.
 
S

SussexYellow

Active Member
Got bored with the whole saga so not feeling overly enthused.

Hope he will win me over with performances on the pitch.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Any thoughts on how he is going to fit into our system or maybe we are going to be different this season?
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top