Grabban vs Rotherham

  • Thread starter It's Character Forming
  • Start date
I

It's Character Forming

New Member
It will be strange to go back to Rotherham on Tuesday.  It's only a few months since we played them needing 3 points to push for automatic promotion and after Grabban was sent off we ended up with an unsatisfying draw.  Obviously this will basically be a reserve team outing but there are quite a few of those players I'd like to see.

So, just thinking, if Jerome starts on Saturday (as I expect barring an injury) and Grabban gets, at most, a brief run out as sub, and still looks a bit rusty, should the manager give him a start against Rotherham  ?  Obviously it would be a big test of his self-control if so, having been sent of for punching one of their players !
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
No, let RvW, Hooper and the rest of the fringe players have the chances in the cup games IMHO.

Rudd

Wisdom, R.Bennett, Turner, Toffolo

O'Neil, Andreu, Vadis

E.Bennett, Johnson

RvW

Bench of: Kean, Gafaiti, Hall-Johnson, Thompson, McGrandles, Hooper, Loza
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
I would send him out against them. They haven't made the greatest of starts but will be seeing us as a chance because we will send out squad members.

I think we have to treat the game as a shop window so close to the transfer window closing and to be honest, if someone came in with a fair offer for Grabban, I would sell him and keep Hooper. I just can't see him as good enough for the Prem. I don't see any point in using RVW except as sub. No one in this country will be interested in him.
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
Maybe it wouldn't help us move RvW on, but it might show us that he's a perfectly good option against certain opponents, especially when we have players that will actually give him the ball this time...
 
I

It's Character Forming

New Member
Yeah it would be interesting to see if we had Grabban and RVW up front with Andreu behind them, and see how that works creatively, with BJ, Vadis and O'Neill behind them.  I could see RVW and Grabban working actually.  Depending if RVW is still willing to have a go though.

It was worrying back when RVW was playing his first few games for us and someone came up with that stat showing he'd hardly touched the ball all game... The signs were there from the start I guess.

This is our first cup game under AN isn't it ?  So be interesting to see if the boys are more motivated now. 
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Yeah it would be interesting to see if we had Grabban and RVW up front with Andreu behind them, and see how that works creatively, with BJ, Vadis and O'Neill behind them.  I could see RVW and Grabban working actually.  Depending if RVW is still willing to have a go though.

It was worrying back when RVW was playing his first few games for us and someone came up with that stat showing he'd hardly touched the ball all game... The signs were there from the start I guess.

This is our first cup game under AN isn't it ?  So be interesting to see if the boys are more motivated now. 
I think there were three cup games at the end of last season that showed the motivation exists in spades with an AN team.
 
I

It's Character Forming

New Member
I think there were three cup games at the end of last season that showed the motivation exists in spades with an AN team.
Well strictly true, but possibly those were a bit different don't you think ?  I tend to think the championship playoffs are the ones where it's easiest to motivate the players because promotion, and a sizable wage increase, and the chance of playing in the top league are all at stake.  If anything the manager's job is making sure the players are focused and don't get carried away (eg they don't get so wound up they punch the opposition when they're held, to return to the subject of my original post).

looking back I find it interesting - under Lambert, he made the right noises (at least sometimes) but it was clear the cup games weren't at all important to him.  Under Hughton, we were a bit better but it was still Hughton.  Under NA, the players were clearly coasting in the cup games which was eventually what did for him (I was there at Preston !).  So will AN get the players up for it I wonder ?  I've always been puzzled why the second string players aren't really up for it, after all it's a chance to show the manager what they can do in a proper game.  As people have pointed out, we can field a strong side which has no players who'll be starting against Stoke.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Well strictly true, but possibly those were a bit different don't you think ?  I tend to think the championship playoffs are the ones where it's easiest to motivate the players because promotion, and a sizable wage increase, and the chance of playing in the top league are all at stake.  If anything the manager's job is making sure the players are focused and don't get carried away (eg they don't get so wound up they punch the opposition when they're held, to return to the subject of my original post).

looking back I find it interesting - under Lambert, he made the right noises (at least sometimes) but it was clear the cup games weren't at all important to him.  Under Hughton, we were a bit better but it was still Hughton.  Under NA, the players were clearly coasting in the cup games which was eventually what did for him (I was there at Preston !).  So will AN get the players up for it I wonder ?  I've always been puzzled why the second string players aren't really up for it, after all it's a chance to show the manager what they can do in a proper game.  As people have pointed out, we can field a strong side which has no players who'll be starting against Stoke.
Erm, er, well, er, Luton?
 
hogesar

hogesar

Well-Known Member
Be a bit of a waste playing RvW when he's clearly far down in the pecking order.

Grabban to start, Hooper to get some decent minutes too.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
No, let RvW, Hooper and the rest of the fringe players have the chances in the cup games IMHO.

Rudd

Wisdom, R.Bennett, Turner, Toffolo

O'Neil, Andreu, Vadis

E.Bennett, Johnson

RvW

Bench of: Kean, Gafaiti, Hall-Johnson, Thompson, McGrandles, Hooper, Loza
The shop window then basically! 
 
B

bloodwagon

Member
I think it would be good to start with RVW. Lets see if hes still getting into them slots and being ignored, like he was when playing in the first team

2 years ago.

All I remember from then is, he was doing the runs, freeing himself from the defender, and no one but no one passing him the ball.

Also he was tracking back to find the ball himself. You know as well as me, if a forward has to go looking for the ball, in his own half, hes never going to score.

As i say, Give him a chance.
 
Boyerboy

Boyerboy

New Member
Alex said this morning that it would be a diluted first team not a B team. (I paraphrase)
 
  • Like
Reactions: ZLF
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
I can see Rudd playing and would want to rest tettey, jerome, and wes,   not risk redmond or Brady (no left back cover).

I think we will see a team from the first team squad,  but not the development squad.

                         Rudd

Wisom  Bennett Bassong Tofollo

                  O'Neil

Howson VOO   Dorrans   BJ

                  Grabban
 
G

GJP

Well-Known Member
Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to rest Howson and Dorrans after they ran themselves into the ground in the heat.
 
Suffolk Canary

Suffolk Canary

New Member
Have a feeling AN saw what Shewsbury and Preston did the Adams and doesn't want to risk having that happen to him.  I think the likes of Ruddy, Martin, Johnson, Grabban will all play. Can't see him taking the risk of throwing a bunch of kids and reserve players out there just to give them minutes for the sake of it
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
But many of the players who haven't played yet will at some point have to play for the first team. So they might as well get match fit.

Surely all seven subs will start along with Turner, Toffolo, RVW and VOO.
 
I

It's Character Forming

New Member
My guess is he'll leave out those who need a rest but he did say it wouldn't be wholesale changes so I expect some starters from Saturday to be playing.

My view is that AN will want to win this simply because he wants to win everything. 
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top