Dads Army springs to Mind

derehamyella

derehamyella

New Member
Dads-Army-Frazier-doomed.png
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
I don't think so. Take away all the gnashing of teeth about Bradley, and the fact that we could have done with a decent CB, we actually have a pretty strong group. Stronger, I'll wager, that the last time we were in the division.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Din
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
We're only doomed if we are unlucky enough to get multiple injuries and suspensions in defense at the same time between now and January. 

Just angry that we've left ourselves in this position, where our defence may be picking itself by virtue of there being no alternatives, Michael Turner shouldn't have been allowed to leave until a replacement was recruited. 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: Wiz
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
I don't think we're doomed at all tbh. We're the same team that played so impressively in the opening 3 games, but with a new striker and Jarvis (a natural winger who suits our style) in for Johnson. 
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
We've also conceded an average of two goals a game without having played any of the really good sides yet. Don't think we're "doomed" as such, but I think our defence will probably see us relegated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wiz
Boyerboy

Boyerboy

New Member
I think the point of this thread is that substantial tweets and posts by City fans over the last two days have claimed we are already relegated. The despondency and surrender astound me. We're doomed us mild compared to what I've seen on Twitter and Facebook. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
We've also conceded an average of two goals a game without having played any of the really good sides yet. Don't think we're "doomed" as such, but I think our defence will probably see us relegated.
We keep possession much better though, and don't just stick 10 men behind the ball and invite pressure like we did under Hughton, and do a better job of not giving the opposition time and space. 

No better form of defense than just not letting the opposition keep the ball. 

But yeah, I'm a bit worried about how effective we will be at that when facing teams full of top class players.
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
I agree to an extent, but the proof is in the pudding. 4 games, 8 goals conceded.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
If anyone really does think, obviously in their opinion, as what AN does is all that ultimately matters, the transfer window was handled well then it is nonsense to think we are doomed.

And I very much doubt that those among us who thought the whole two months was a shambles, not only squad wise but in the bond between club and supporters, it is natural for there to be a period of gloom especially as there is no game this weekend to make amends for Sunday through to Tuesday.

To be fair, I don't think the current squad is really any better than last time. But that is just an opinion and it won't make any difference in the way the team plays. And let us not forget, Hughton didn't take us up, Lambert did, and this squad will do well to provide the entertainment and excitement of his squad. And I am sure AN will try hard to excite us just as much as he will try and get to the magical 40 points ASAP.

And at least the transfer window did give us a wealth of debate.
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
I do think that we have left ourselves vulnerable at the back by not bringing in another CB. I personally disagree with that, but otherwise the squad is stronger now than it was at Wembley, or even when we were relegated under CH. We'll miss the passion and commitment of BJ, but I can understand why he'd move on for the sake of a 4 year contract with Derby. Much will depend on the number of goals and assists from Brady and Jarvis, methinks, but Mbokani is a very welcome addition which could make all the difference by the end of the season. Let's hope so for all of our sakes!  :rolleyes:
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
3 of those with 10 men. 1 was a sucker punch at the end of a game when we were going all out to level things up. Some of them were very avoidable errors like Twetey switching off from that Stoke FK, I think we'll see less of these as the season goes on. I've said before that Russ and Seb do have errors in them but they're actually pretty [and maybe deceptively] solid. Olsson will be an improvement to what we've had at left back thus far too.

Not too sure about the league being stronger. Certain teams are but others really aren't. The teams we went up with are less of a shambles than the teams we went down with, well, I do think Watford are a ticking time bomb.
 
derehamyella

derehamyella

New Member
o my goodness, what was Dad's Army a comedy show.   to be honest I am sick of the gloom .and thought I would try and raise a smile. but too serious only Boyerboy saw the intent.  

It will be a struggle,  it would have been a struggle had we kept Johnsom  got another cb  in and added another striker.  I am just pissed off with the fact we didn't have to make it harder for ourselves. 
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wiz
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
After I responded I did see your intent, but I had just read it having been reading the pink-un board and responded in the moment. Yes, with missing out on signing a CB the club have not made things any easier. However,  when I look at the other additions made to the squad this season then I am reasonably happy, , and as mentioned elsewhere,  I have also come to terms with and understand the Bradley Johnson move. 
 
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
We've also conceded an average of two goals a game without having played any of the really good sides yet. Don't think we're "doomed" as such, but I think our defence will probably see us relegated.
Sadly I have to agree.
 
derehamyella

derehamyella

New Member
Yea I do not think that the Johnson is such a bad thing now...I suppose I was like a lot of others as it came out of the blue, although I was tipped off  I chose to ignore it.   Is there a half decent yougnster  we have at cb ?  that would be better than playing someone out of position  wouldn't it.. other clubs blood some of their academy lads . Ours never seem to make it like say Southampton  
 
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
I fear it'll be the CH issue which does us, maybe January will be too late to correct it.

We just have to hope that AN gets lucky on this.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I fear it'll be the CH issue which does us, maybe January will be too late to correct it.

We just have to hope that AN gets lucky on this.
Or it could all work out just fine and we'll have a small fortune to spend in January, glass half full Wiz! 
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top