I admittedly haven't seen much of him, however when I have seen him I've been impressed. I watched both legs of our FA Youth Cup final win a couple of years ago, and he dominated Chelsea's centre halves (one of which was Nathan Ake, who has since played a few times for the Chelsea first team, as well as a few games on loan at Reading). I don't think he'll ever be a Premier League quality striker, but I see no reason why he couldn't do a job in the SPL, and I really hope that he finally manages to prove what a good striker is at a professional level.
The fact that he's recently been given a new contract though suggests that Alex Neil see's something in him, and I trust his judgement more than I've ever trusted a Norwich City manager's judgement before, so if he believes he will one day be a very good striker, I'd go along with that.