How would you start the season?

  • Thread starter The Great Mass Debater
  • Start date
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Its opening day against Crystal Palace. Whats your starting line up?

                   Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Bassong Brady (expect this to go through and Olsson injured)

           Mulumbu Tettey

Redmond Hooper Johnson

                 Jerome

Bench

Rudd, E Bennett, R Bennett, Howson, Grabban, Odidja-Ofoe, van Wolfswinkel
 
Last edited by a moderator:
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
I hope Hoolahan and Howson are in the team.

Haven't given it much thought though.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
If everyone is fit, and we make a couple of new signings:

Ruddy​
New RB New CB Bassong Olsson​
Howson Tettey​
Redmond Hoolahan Johnson​
Jerome​
 ​
Subs: Rudd, Martin, Mulumbu, Dorrans, Brady, Hooper, Grabban.​
 ​
If we don't bring in a new centre back and right back, then Martin centre back, Whittaker right back, and Ryan Bennett on the bench.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Whoops, forgot Hoolahan! Id probably start him on the bench though in place of Grabban. Id really like to commit to giving Hooper a run in the team behind Jerome. As much as I love Wes, we need to be thinking of alternatives to relying on him so heavily.

Think Having both Tettey and Mulumbu in the side would make us solid and free BJ from the ugly side of things so he can be a threat further forward.

Im thinking of Hoopers hat-trick from 'midfield' last season in terms of direct goal threat - something you dont get from Hoolahan, and we dont see enough of from Howson.

Admittedly I dont know where the creativity is coming from here, but thats the Wes connundrum isnt it
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
How would I start the season?.......Giving it a right old go!! But no idea what team I would select, particularly as I can still see at least a couple of new signings coming in by then.
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
I'd be looking at something like this (based on currently available players):

Ruddy

Whittaker, Martin, Bassong, Toffolo

Tettey

Redmond, Howson, Johnson

Hoolahan

Jerome
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
of the current signings and previous prem performances I would go

                  Ruddy

Whittaker  Martin Bassong Toffolo

                 Tettey

Redmond Mulumbu  Wessi Dorrans

                 Grabban

Plenty of options in the midfield and most combinations work;  personally the key areas of concern remain a new cb, rb & striker.   If Brady does sign I suspect he will start at left back until olsson is fully fit.
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
Agree with Indy_Bones' line-up:

Ruddy

Whittaker, Martin, Bassong, Toffolo

Tettey

Redmond, Howson, Johnson

Hoolahan

Jerome

Bench: Rudd, R.Bennett, E.Bennett, Andreu, Odidja-Ofoe, Grabban, RvW
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Agree with Indy_Bones' line-up:

Ruddy

Whittaker, Martin, Bassong, Toffolo

Tettey

Redmond, Howson, Johnson

Hoolahan

Jerome

Bench: Rudd, R.Bennett, E.Bennett, Andreu, Odidja-Ofoe, Grabban, RvW
Mulumbu, Dorrans and Hooper not even on the bench?
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Mulumbu, Dorrans and Hooper not even on the bench?
For me that demonstrates a few things - 1 we do have options, 2 competition should be good, 3 the squad needs trimming down. Guess that means having players who can play in a number of different positions
 
dj161

dj161

Well-Known Member
                    Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Bassong Toffolo

             Tettey Mulumbu

Redmond Hoolahan Johnson

                  Jerome

not necessarily what I'd pick but what I expect it to be against Palace
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
I don't think the actual individuals will make too much difference. It will be the strategy of the management and the way the players adapt to that strategy. After all, most of our squad know what the Prem is like. AN does not.

I am hopeful he will stick to his principles and try and win every game as soon as he selects it. Obviously that is impossible. But surely Crystal Palace at home first game when the sun is shining and the pitch is like a billiard table and you can smell the liniment on the newly tanned legs of the players, is a good way to show intent.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
The Premier League is football matches and Alex Neil certainly knows football matches. It's a step up but football is still football, people glorify the Premier League FAR too much.
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top